Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Downside of Apple Snails


Last night I found the two apple snails in Indy's tank stuck together as in the picture above.  According to similar pictures and descriptions I found online, it seems the snails decided to be fruitful and multiply.  This is a real problem in a 2.5 gallon tank because there's just not enough room for tons of snail babies.  I separated them and put the smaller one, I guess it's a female, in Sumo's 3 gallon tank.  I will just have to watch carefully for egg clusters and hope I can catch and remove any before they hatch.

Unfortunately when I had two snails in my 10 gallon, I did not know the snails decided to reproduce until one day (surprise!) I found 10-20 little white dots, about the size of tapioca, that turned out to be baby snails.  The amount of salt in the tank now has proved insufficient to kill them, and the cory cats don't seem to eat them.  I think it's time to get an assassin snail and see if that will solve the problem before they overrun the tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment